Monday, January 24, 2011

Public Intervention Art

After a lecture about various examples of public intervention art, Professor Wendy Red Star instructed us to create one intervention during class plus three more interventions of our own based on the artists' works that were shown.


Library Intervention:  Walking Bookshelf

The first part to our Public Intervention Art project was to go to the library and do some type of intervention there.  I got quite a few awesome looks while posing as a sculpture.




1st Intervention:  General seating

This piece was influenced by Erwin Wurm's 1 minute sculptures.  In a couple of his photos, Wurm had people do odd poses on chairs.  Chairs are used to sit on, but as in one piece the man is doing a headstand while "sitting" in a chair.  I did the sculpture outside, because it is more public and you don't normally find a wingback chair outside.  I photographed this piece in front of my neighbor's garage.  And while I was posing, my neighbor came home.  I had to move the chair, so she could drive in.  I tried to explain that it was for an art project, but all I got in return were grunts and weird looks.  Haha!!!



2nd Intervention:  Smiling Grocer

The grocery store is filled with smiling faces on the packaging and advertisements of products.




So I decided to make smiling faces out of the products.  This intervention was based on Gabriel Orozco's photos.  Orozco went to various grocery stores and placed unrelated items together.  His photos have a uneasy feeling to them.  As in Cats & Watermelon, the cat food and watermelon shown together is very unappetizing.  So by making the food products into smiley faces, I tried to create a more appeasing photo (even when I used pickle jars, hot sauce, chocolate chips, and a pie crust).






3rd Intervention:  Twins

For my final intervention, I based it off the Janfamily's photos.  In their photos, Janfamily has people who are physically connected either by having two girls' hair braided together, or two coats buttoned together, etc.  So I decided to glue two shirts and pants together, so instead of two people connected together, it's one body with two heads (and four feet).

No comments:

Post a Comment